Saturday, August 8, 2009

The beginning

So honestly, I have no idea what I am doing. I was inspired to do this by a movie that I saw today. Julie Powell, blogging about her food experience while cooking her way through Julia Childs cookbook. I thought it looked pretty fun. Why not try it? I don't have one particular thing to blog about, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

I was surrounded by elderly people for most of the afternoon today. The movie theater I was in was full of them. Being around people who are older than me really makes me think about life. There is something about their spirit that is so innocent, so wise, so simple. They have lived through so much more than I have! Comparing our generation to the older generation - we seem so shallow, so selfish, so high maintenance. You can argue with me saying, "I'm sure they were just the same when they were young..." But were they? Did they get everything they asked for, right then and there? No. They didn't have computers, tv, cell phones, texting, fast cars, or snazzy clothes. Most of them had family, nature, and simple things. What is wrong with our generation? Why can't we slow down and enjoy? Why must we be texting all of the time? Why can't we just sit and enjoy life? Why do we have to go to the mall and 'hang out?' And the sad thing is, it's not just young people. Our parents have fallen into the trap of the speedyness. Going and going. Never stopping!

If God grants you the years to live until you are 80, will you be disappointed that you didn't spend more quality time with people? That you spent your life texting and never had any deep relationships with anyone?

Okay, just something to ponder. Try to enjoy the simple, sweet things that we are so blessed with. Don't look past the things that truly matter - the things that make this life so beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Again, you amaze me! Again, you are completely right! I think we do need to slow down! Children and adults alike! I think a big break down in families today, is that everyone is 'going-and-going', and they are all 'going-and-going' in their own direction! Parents are busy and tied up at work or in thier own hobbies. Their children are are tied up at school, in extracirricular activites, or with friends ,and dating relationships. No one takes the time to sit down, stop, and discuss family matters. Think about how many problems could be resolved within the family, if every family took just 30 minutes a day to sit down, pray together, and listen to each others' struggles. Parents would take a greater interest in their children's lives. They would know exactly who their children are "hanging out" with, or who they are dating. Thier children would in return, come to them for advise or wisdom and open their hearts to their parents, and ultimately the family would grow closer together! I think often times, teenagers forget thier family's faithfulness, and invest all of their time in freindships that probably wont last and generally dont lead anywhere. And I think parents underestimate the influence they have in their child's life. By stopping what your doing, and sitting down with your child, you could save them a lot of regret and heartache.
    Like Atalie said, lets "try to enjoy the simple, sweet things we are so blessed with" and not overlook the things that make this life so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Followers